Thursday, April 28, 2011

Surprises...

We saw a couple of manatees just 30 feet from our boat.  Frank had spotted one about 5 ft away from Moitessier as we were leaving to run some errands.  He saw it's whiskers pop out of the water and shouted at me to come look.  Of course, when I got there, it had disappeared.  So feeling disappointed, we continued on down the dock, and that's when I spotted this hump that looked like a mud bank.  I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me since I was thinking about manatees, but nope, I was right, it was a manatee.  A mom and a pup at that.  Apparently, they were stuck in the shallows behind the dock and couldn't get out till high tide.  Our neighbor decided to feed some water to them because that's what they seek out, and so he took a hose and dangled it over the edge of the dock.  Low and behold, they came right up to the hose and drank away.  It was really cute, because they would push each other away when one was being too much of a hog.  I had no idea that these animals were so friendly, nor did I realize that they craved fresh water so much (they drank from the hose for a good 45 minutes).



No comments:

Post a Comment